Thursday, February 19, 2015

When I get ready to write a novel, I start by defining the main character. Then I decide where (in terms of location) most of the novel will take place.

The location will have a big impact on the sales of the novel. Novels that take place in LA, New York City, Washington DC, or Florida will automatically attract readers who like to read novels set in those locales.

With the location set, I decide on the general direction the novel is going to go, including characters that will be met along the way, and come up with the key event that starts the first chapter off so it goes in the right direction.

Then I start writing. 

I usually write about an hour a day, completing one or two chapters. If I can maintain that schedule, I can usually get the first draft of the novel completed in two months.

Inspiration for the location, character and action comes from my real world experiences, as well as items I find in the news.


--Bill Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment