Wednesday, December 17, 2014



IS SOCIAL MEDIA THE MOST EFFECTIVE MARKETING?

Dear Direct Response Letter Subscriber:

Social media marketer MS criticized me for comments I made in a
thread on his wall.

"You do not always come across as super-polite in your posts,"
he chastised me.

I replied, "It is not my goal to be super polite. Rather, in all
my writing, I always strive to tell the blunt, unvarnished
truth."

In this instance, MS was having a so-called marketing guru, GK,
as a guest on his podcast, and I mentioned that I was not a huge
fan of the guy.

When someone else retorted that GK has brilliant marketing
strategies, and I asked for an example, the person replied that
GK advised tweeting multiple times a day.

Wow. If multiple daily tweets is your idea of kick-butt
marketing, I have a bridge I want to sell you in Brooklyn.

[Select 3 social marketing techniques and leave the rest.]


Whether I am writing a book, this newsletter, or am in a thread
on Facebook, people read me for marketing advice -- and they
expect it to be true and honest.

It is my responsibility to give them the straight dope, and if
that sometimes requires deflating overblown pseudo experts and
new age marketing evangelists -- well, so be it.

BTW, especially on FB and e-mail, be very careful when reading
marketing advice from people you don't know, because they can
and will say anything to convince you they are "crushing it."

In response to my criticism of GK's multiple tweeting tactic,
one of MS's FB friends defended the tactic, saying "my agency is
getting great results from tweeting."

Two problems with that statement: First, anyone can make any
claim of results online without providing proof. So right away,
it's suspect.

Second, it's vague. Did he make sales and get credit card and
PayPal orders? Did he get a new client? How much money did he
make?

Often social media enthusiasts are inordinately proud of results
that we direct marketers find laughable.

One Twitter user told me she too had great results and was able
to add 100 followers in a month.

A major consumer brand did a big Facebook campaign some time
ago and added thousands of new FB friends. They then admitted
they could not trace a single sale to this campaign.

To me results that matter are leads, customers, orders, and
revenue -- not Facebook friends or Twitter followers.

Yes, these can lead to business. But until they do, they are
nothing to get excited about.

You may not agree with me. You may not like me saying it. But it
is the unvarnished truth as I see it. And that is what you will
always get from me -- brutal honesty so you know what to do in
marketing, what to avoid, and do not waste your time and money.

I could just be super polite as MS wants, but I don't see how
that helps you. And it's not what I'm about.

Sincerely,
Bob Bly
Copywriter / Consultant
31 Cheyenne Dr.
Montville, NJ 07045
Phone 973-263-0562
Fax 973-263-0613
www.bly.com

*********************************************************************************

Dear Direct Response Letter Subscriber:

Some of the most successful people I know -- Brian Tracy and
Mark Ford among them -- repeatedly stress the importance of
setting goals.

So I am almost ashamed to make this confession, but since my
guiding principle as a writer is to always tell the unvarnished
and brutal truth, here it is:

I have never had goals. Never. Not when I started in business.
Not throughout my career. And not today.

Does this doom me to failure?

In a recent issue of his newsletter, Matt Furey explained, far
more eloquently than I could, how many folks have no goals and
are still successful. He calls them "unconsciously successful."
Matt writes:

"Person finds his passion. He begins to practice. He realizes,
early on, he has a talent for what he's doing that is above and
beyond the norm. Ideas come to him no matter what he's doing. He
doesn't know who or what turned this on in him. It just IS.

"Based upon his own level of awareness, he doesn't visualize,
dream, imagine, or 'think positive' in any way about what he's
doing. He just does it.

"Oddly enough, the unconsciously successful person does not
relate to or understand those who set goals, visualize, or do
their best to be positive. He doesn't see any of it as
necessary, valid, valuable or useful. He thinks of it as a
complete waste of time.

"Look at some of these big time athletes. Oozing with ability.
They can't explain how they do it. Can't teach at all. Only do.
I'm betting Mozart didn't have goals either.

"Napoleon Hill is wrong. First of all, thinking doesn't work.
Second, Hill makes no room for 'flow' people. Third, he doesn't
cover the basic premise of setting a sensible goal based on your
strengths" -- instead, insisting that anyone can do anything they
desire, which anyone with a lick of sense knows is not at all
the case.

So if I don't focus on goals, what do I focus on? Answer:
projects. Specifically, the immediate project on my desk at the
moment.

I learned this success technique -- focusing on the work at hand,
not on long-term goals -- from Burt Manning, CEO of J. Walter
Thompson ad agency, when I interviewed him for a book years ago
and asked him for the secret to his success. Manning said:

"Unlike a lot of people who have been successful in business,
I've focused almost exclusively on the immediate assignment or
project in hand.

"My mode of operation was to take whatever that assignment was
and try to do it better than it had ever been done before in the
history of the world. That was it.

"Then I'd try to do the next one the best. The projects, in my
mind, were never a means to an end -- they were the end."

We had that talk in 1981. It was a revelation, and I have
followed Manning's modus operandi ever since. Here's my theory
on why project focus is better than goal focus:

Focusing on goals, you focus on you -- what you want, what you
like, what you need.

Focusing on projects, you focus on the client -- what he wants,
likes, desires, and needs.

And the quickest road to success is to give others what they
want. If you make them successful, they will in turn make you
successful.

In this one thing, Napoleon Hill got it right. He said, "It is
literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping
others to succeed."

Sincerely,
Bob Bly
Copywriter / Consultant
31 Cheyenne Dr.
Montville, NJ 07045
Phone 973-263-0562
Fax 973-263-0613
www.bly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment